Hello kind krafters!
I am currently having a lovely time visiting family in England for my February break. Where I used to live in Wiltshire, there are many towns full of small shops which are mainly local businesses. This has made me want to explore the benefits of shopping locally and supporting community stores. First, I wanted to refresh myself on what defines a local business. businessdirectory.com describes a local business as being a “company which provides goods or services to a local population. Though most often used when referring to a locally-owned business, the term maybe also be used to describe a franchise or corporate branch operating within a local area”.
(Halifax Brewery Farmers Market)
Here are some reasons for shopping at smaller stores instead of your huge chain stores:
1. Helps to keep your community unique – When your town centre is full of local businesses, the shops will all be so diverse that your neighbourhood will look completely different from any other city or town!
2. Helps with the local economy – Several studies have shown that if you were to pay $5 to a local shop, more than 50% would stay in the local economy compared to less than 50% when shopping at chain stores. As well as this, with more business near to your home, there are more job opportunities in your area helping out your community!
3. More personalized service – These small businesses are usually run by people who know a lot about the company and are very invested in what they make/sell. Because of this, there is a much friendlier and intimate relationships formed between the consumers and producers.
4. Aiding the community – A lot of smaller businesses donate to and have relationships with non-profit organizations and local charities. Through purchasing items at these stores, donations are more likely to be made to people in your neighbourhood.
5. Reduces the impact on the environment and is more convenient for the consumer – By travelling only a few streets instead of twenty minutes down the road, not only are you creating less of an ecological footprint, but you are also saving yourself oodles of time to buy these items.
I always like to browse through the following websites and Instagram pages to find local businesses near me –
(Halifax Seaport Farmers Market)
Have fun with all of your local shopping, kind krafters – you always find the best stuff there!